FoK in exile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Relative army caps.

+3
PT2
guyderue
variou
7 posters

Go down

Relative army caps. Empty Relative army caps.

Post  variou Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:10 am

This was brought up in discussion with testers the other day, and the infiltration post on min/maxing brought it to my attention just now.

When I played tabletop, you werent limited to 6/3/3 type limits, instead you had % of cost. Eg, allowed to spend 0-25% on command, 0-25% on vehicles, minimum of 50-100% on mainline troops.

Given the dynamic nature of dow, it means you can max one cap out and ignore the rest in effect ignoring any constraints on army lists. Meaning you could have 0 mainline troops but spam elites and heavy support.

That being the case, I think the caps aught be put in relation to the amount of main troops(as the core units of any race army).

Instead of just being given 3 of each every game, gain the special caps relative to amount of troops on the board.

1 hq cap for each 2 troop choices.
1 fast attack for each 2 troops
1 hs for each 2 troops.

So there will always be a core of main troops to flesh out a race without focusing purely on the special stuff.
That means you will always have a core of marines in any force, instead of only having 3 land speeders and 3 terminator squads.
It means to get all those hwt's you need platoons first, needing 6 platoons before you get your 9 sentinels out.

variou

Back to top Go down

Relative army caps. Empty Re: Relative army caps.

Post  guyderue Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:18 am

I am all for this type of system and have been since I played TT, it always appeared right minded. Good flash from the past VGF. What does everyone else think...by that I mean MK, Melooo, Homer and Che...you know the active posters.
guyderue
guyderue

Back to top Go down

Post  PT2 Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:09 am

It sounds good to always have your standard as the core. This resembles the force organization chart in some way. It is absolutely doable coding-wise but not so sure about the AI.

PT2

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirage Knight Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:43 am

Not quite sure how to do this with Elites and Fast Attack choices though, as those use commulative cap.

Mirage Knight
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Melooo Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:53 am

This can only be achieved by using scar code...... ive been told that there is a way to stick a scar as a permanent default game rule without even appearing as win condition and there is a fuggles (i think) win condition around that simulates these sort of limits at some extent, though it has to be checked if we can group squads in types, as right now that piece of code only makes limits like "1 terminator squad per 2 tactical squad".

"Enforce unit ratios" is the name of that scar win condition, can look for it at Relicnews.

ps: this could also work to limit 1 transport per each squad.

Melooo

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:08 am

As interesting of an idea as this is, and it is really interesting, it limits gameplay styles. There are times when I don't want to spend money on mostly 'core' troops. Also, it will be really really annoying to the average player, I'm pretty sure. "Why can't I build my heavy support? Oh, I first have to invest money in 'normal' troops."

Admin
Admin

https://firestorm.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Relative army caps. Empty Mathematics

Post  Subteniente Che Oeste Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:09 pm

When it comes to selecting armies it is Table Top and Codex kosher to pick one HQ selection, two troop selections, and then buy nothing other then Elites, Heavy Support, or another Character with the rest of your army's points. Given that every army starts with a HQ building, I suspect that is treated as required HQ selection one has to make on the Table Top. The two troops selections needed are given. Since this as the starting point, one then further fills out their army however they see fit based on the points(blue and green collected) left at the commander's disposal. The current method is a good approximation of the Table Top.

One thing that having this open army list for building does is make it that if an army is taking a pasting, then they do not have to spent the resources and time to build things that are not needed to properly counter their enemy. The proposed scheme would mean after a battle where most if not all units were lost by one side, that commander then has to get and maintain two troop selections before getting more specialized stuff. This is important since most specialized units and vehicles(anti-armor, anti-infantry, transport, etc) are found outside Troop Selections. While the proposed building conditions might make a commander be more careful about engagements, it also easily leads to armies being bogged down making less optimal troops just to get to what is needed to fight/defend in an effective manner. As things are now, I have had a few times were just the requirement of holding an LP has hamstrung me getting the Heavy Support I needed to fight back an attacker. The proposed change would only make things worse. For both human players or a computer AI.

I remember the older Table Top rules, but I believe the newer method of army selections has an edge on the older version. When you look at the numbers they are essentially the same, since overall you can select a total of 16 troops, characters, heavy support, and elites to fill out your army. If a full army is fielded, troops( 8 ) will be 50% the army. The most likely reason for making it based on unit types rather then the selected unit/vehicle's points value is that it allows for balancing of armies against one another as whole instead of endlessly doing balancing between individual parts of army lists. As such 4th edition, 5th edition, and DC rules simplify balancing issues.

So besides effort to code there would be a more work in balancing things like the points values for units, vehicles, and their upgrades at every tier even more so then they are now. There is currently a backlog of balancing issues along with the occasional friction on taxes. Making army selections based on straight points and percentages or forcing Troop purchases would be putting napalm on the flame wars of balance issues. I rather avoid it and use the more simplified and existing system for selecting armies inherited from the current Table Top game.
Subteniente Che Oeste
Subteniente Che Oeste

Back to top Go down

Post  variou Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:34 pm

When it comes to selecting armies it is Table Top and Codex kosher to pick one HQ selection, two troop selections, and then buy nothing other then Elites, Heavy Support, or another Character with the rest of your army's points. Given that every army starts with a HQ building, I suspect that is treated as required HQ selection one has to make on the Table Top. The two troops selections needed are given. Since this as the starting point, one then further fills out their army however they see fit based on the points(blue and green collected) left at the commander's disposal. The current method is a good approximation of the Table Top.

You pretty much state my point in your own justification of your opinion..

You say, in kosher, you pick a hq section, and 2 troops. You then spend the rest of the points on an elite and a heavy support.

thats a rounded army.

The size of the armies in dow are bigger than that, with more options open.

In Tt, is it valid to field an army that has 1 hq, 2 troop choices, 3 heavy support and 3 elite choices? Or, if the game is going badly and you only want to field what is best for the situation, is it valid in Tt to field 1 hq, 0 troops, 3 elite and 3 HS?

variou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum