FoK in exile
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upgrades: Too Expensive or Just Right?

4 posters

Go down

Upgrades: Too Expensive or Just Right? Empty Upgrades: Too Expensive or Just Right?

Post  guyderue Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:35 am

Does anyone else find that upgrades in general are uber-expensive or perhaps far too expensive? I'd like to hear thoughts on why they cost so much and what the formula is for determining cost. I think I remember that cost were based on the max use of the upgrade per squad, troop or whatever. If this is the case I think it is not the best of ideas and a more moderate approach should be taken. I find certain upgrades that should be quite normal (such as plasma) to be so expensive they do not come into play until T3 or T4 as an afterthought purchase.

As I said I would like to hear what people think about the price of upgrades: too high, just right or too low? If there was a possibility of making this a poll I would.
guyderue
guyderue

Back to top Go down

Upgrades: Too Expensive or Just Right? Empty Re: Upgrades: Too Expensive or Just Right?

Post  variou Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:08 pm

I think they are pretty good at the current prices.

Given the dominance of end game stuff over early-mid game stuff, its important to slow teching speed down, else every game would be a tier 3 rush.

Personally, id even go for increasing the price of some researches upgrades that happen in tier 3, including tier3 itself.

variou

Back to top Go down

Upgrades: Too Expensive or Just Right? Empty Re: Upgrades: Too Expensive or Just Right?

Post  Melooo Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:51 am

I agree with the increase of next Tier researches

right is kinda easy to tech up to T3 and increase of the cost of these would prolongate games and fun IMO

Melooo

Back to top Go down

Post  PT2 Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:09 am

Yes, I agree as well. Try increasing it to 600 req, 1200 power.

PT2

Back to top Go down

Post  variou Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:02 am

While I think the research prices on some things could be put up, elsewhere they seem somewhat excessive. The price of plasma pistol upgrades for heros for example, is way to high for a tier 1 tech. no one would ever get it.

variou

Back to top Go down

Post  guyderue Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:28 pm

variou wrote:While I think the research prices on some things could be put up, elsewhere they seem somewhat excessive. The price of plasma pistol upgrades for heros for example, is way to high for a tier 1 tech. no one would ever get it.

Right. Lets make a list of the upgrades that we think are too expensive.

1) Plasma Pistol.
2) Power Sword.
2) Necron Power Claws?
guyderue
guyderue

Back to top Go down

Post  variou Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:51 am

imperial guard plasma pistol and power sword upgrades are rediculously expensive, cost more than the upgrades to guardaman balistic skill *something that is actually useful*, heck they cost more than the tier 2 economy upgrades.

variou

Back to top Go down

Post  Melooo Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:26 am

IG plasma pistol upgrades 1 Commander, 3 Commissars, 6 AF sarges or Lieutenants or Inq ST sarges and 3 Kasrkin sarges.

making for 13 plasma pistols in total, if each plasma pistol cost 10pts/50req&pwr, that makes for 130pts/650req&pwr

there is a bug im fixing now, which the research didnt upgrade AF sarges, should be fixed for next build.

IG Power Swords upgrades 3 priests to evisarators (25pts/125req&pwr each) 6 AF sarges or lieutenants or Inq ST sarges and 3 Kasrkin sarges

9 power swords at 5pts/25req&pwr makes for 45pts/225req&pwr + 3 eviserators at 75pts/375req&pwr is a total of 120pts/600req&pwr

IG power fists for 3 commissars, 6 lieutenants or Inq ST sarges (yes ArCo pays more than it should as AF sarges dont get pwr fists.....but cant modify cost depending on the doctrine)

Power fists cost 20pts/100req&pwr but as this research requires power swords research and replace such weapons, pwr swords cost is substracted, 20pts/100req&pwr - 5pts/25req&pwr = 15pts/75req&pwr multiplied by 9 is a total of 135pts/675req&pwr

the same logic is applied to all other races.

Researches have the cost of what it would have in TT, IMO arent THAT expensive....sacrifice the training 2 squads and leave them for later in favour of upgrading that bunch of characters with better wargear, on a side note these researches arent mandatory but they surely help....so you have to make the tactical decision of if is better to train more troops or to upgrade their leaders.

also you have to take in acount that you only research this once....then subsequents retraining of leaders gets those upgrades for free, unless is a squad starting unit as FC, IG commander, commissars and etc.

Melooo

Back to top Go down

Post  variou Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:47 am

And for melta bombs? 30 power isnt it now wit hthe increase in power on normal grenades, something dirt cheap anyway even if still 150/ You can get assault marine squads over and over and over and actually field those troops worth, no one ever gets all the imp guard sub-leaders simplyl not cost efficent or effective.

Meltabomb research is dirt cheap and worth it. Everyone would get it.

I play infantry tons and tons, never once have I considered getting those upgrades until way late after a full cap of troops.. It simply is broken as a tier 1 research.

hell they are more expensive than the researches that affect the main core army of the imp guard, hundreds of troops.

The only way you could think its a worth while investment is if you are someone who doesnt actually play the race.

At the very least it should not be available in tier 1. At that cost it should be a "touch up" research available in tier 3.. otherwise it just comes off looking unpolished and without thought.

variou

Back to top Go down

Post  Melooo Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:01 am

in Deathmatch games you can have that amount and lot more of req and pwr at T2.... and those prices are supposed to cover all match types....so denying the upgrade at lower tiers because in normal game mode doesnt seem appealing to upgrade leaders as it isnt cost efficent doesnt seem as enough reason.

melta bombs are a special issue cause they have a cost to be payed in each bomb thrown, so the research is quite more as an "unlock item" than a "buy equipment"

and again i repeat this:
also you have to take in acount that you only research this once....then subsequents retraining of leaders gets those upgrades for free, this means that once you have that research done, it doesnt matter how many time you retrain the Lieutenant or sarge he will have those weapons for FREE

Melooo

Back to top Go down

Post  variou Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:43 am

Dow has always had quick start as an option, but it is never ever taken as a consideration for cost or availabilty Neutral There could be a win condition "everything costs 50 and builds in 10seconds" doesnt mean you go and change the standard method just cause one of the options removes any concept of time or economy.

Tier1, cheap, more common, fast in production/research,
tier 2 more so,
tier 3 even more so.

To be otherwise just doesnt fit and stands out as a glaring "eh? lol, thats silly" type of mistake. At the very least it aught be layered instead, a 100 req upgrade at first, only effects the general, another one after affects lt's and another one after all the minor sargents/commisars. That would mean the researches are then done when available and needed.

Anyone that actually buys that plasma pistol when it becomes an available upgrade has already lost, a clear sign of broken positioning on the tech tree.

variou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum